So, I know I said I wasn't going to dye my hair anymore for a year, and in a sense, I am kind of, KIND OF keeping to that. I mean, I couldn't take it anymore! The orange, fried look was driving me crazy! I have been wanting to darken my hair for forever now, but I didn't want to dye my hair anymore with harsh chemicals. I picked up 2 boxes of Bigen, @ $4.75/box. Pretty pricey, but I spent the same amount on a box of Feria. I was washing that crap out for 2 months straight, the shower water was burgundy! Never again, Feria!
- Sectioned my hair into 4 parts & butterfly clipped in place
- Mixed one bottle for the front of my hair
- Seperated 1 section into 2 parts, for even distrubution
- Mixed the second bottle for the back of my head, the thicker parts
- Covered the nasty orange color first
- Then, seperated into small parts and applied the dye sparingly
I couldn't believe I actually had enough, because I was so nervous I was going to leave parts un-dyed. It relaxed my curls like a normal hair dye, but it didn't burn. I lost the curl definition I was getting back in the front again. A couple weeks of ACV treatments will get them to popping again ;) My curls did feel like straw, like it does when I use regular hair dye. It was kind of messy, I had to bleach the wall where I got a spec on. It STAINS. My forehead and ears are not stained, though. It's a good idea to have bleach on hand.
The Color Result:
Exactly what I wanted. Do NOT expect to get a rich, vibrant burgundy red color. I wanted to darken my color, so it would match my roots. It's exactly what I got. My Mom uses Dark Auburn, and it always turns her hair the deepest shade of black/brown. It's mostly black, with little hints of burgundy here and there.
- I washed with Giovanni Deep Moisture Shampoo
- Detangled with Giovanni 50/50 Calming Conditioner (looove!!)
- Applied Giovanni Direct Leave-In
- Sealed moisture in with warm coconut oil
The whole process, with application, processing the color, rinsing, washing, detangling, conditioning: took about 2.5hrs. This is the last and FINAL time I am ever dying my hair. I mean it this time! Now my roots can grow, and I can continue to love my growing curls. I am quite pleased with growth, I am back at the length from my Winter cut.